What is Bladder Prolapse?
The hollow organ in the pelvis which stored the urine is called the bladder. The bladder is held at the front wall of the vagina with supportive pelvic tissue and muscles. Due to the age factor, the muscle becomes weak and loosen. Even if the body went through some physical stress like vaginal delivery the muscle becomes weak and causes Bladder Prolapse. When the bladder comes out during the urination from the vagina due to loosen or weaken the pelvic muscle, it is said as Bladder Prolapse.
Under normal conditions, the pressure is created when the bladder fills with urine and passes through the urethra. But having Bladder prolapse causes no longer support and arrive into the vagina. Bladder Prolapse can even obtrude some drop through the opening of the Vagina. This may lead to problems like urinary difficulties, stress, urine leakage while sneezing, coughing, etc., and discomfort.
Bladder Prolapse is a very common disease in women. It is also called Cystoceles or Fallen Bladders. Bladder Prolapse can be classified into four grades:
- Grade 1. Mild stage- Only a small portion of the bladder slouches into the vagina.
- Grade 2. Moderate stage- the bladder slouches enough so that it easily reaches the vaginal opening.
- Grade 3. Severe stage- The bladder overhangs from the vaginal opening.
- Grade 4. Complete stage- The stage at which the entire bladder overhangs completely outside from vagina.
Symptoms of Bladder Prolapse
One of the most common symptom is feeling of a vaginal hump. A women will fell a ball like tissue at the opening of vagina. Some other relatable symptoms of Bladder Prolapse is:
- Urinary Incontinence(unwanted loss of urine)
- Discomfort and pain in pelvic
- Heaviness or pressure in vaginal area
- Lower Back pain
- Painful Intercourse (Dyspareunia)
- Feeling of incomplete voiding
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- More Frequent bladder Infections
- Difficulty Urinating
- Tissue bulging from vagina can bleed too.
What Causes Bladder Prolapse?
Bladder prolapse can causes from various reasons. One of the most outrageous cause childbirth through vaginal delivery. Other factors which lead to Cystoceles are:
- Chronic Coughing (or other lungs problem)
- Frequent straining to pass stool
- Prior pelvic surgeries
- Heavy lifting
Prolapsed organs cannot heal itself, they need proper medication to prevent problematic symptoms. Without proper treatment it will become worst. Those women who notices these symptoms must visit to Satyadev Urology. Here you will receive proper care and medication. Our specialist will help you to evaluate your complications from Prolapsed Bladder.
Exams and Tests for a Prolapsed Bladder.
- Voiding Cystourethrogram- To examine the female genitalia and the pelvis, a doctor may use the process of Voiding Cystourethrogram. It is a series of X-rays taken during the process of urination, to detect the shape and size of the bladder and the cause of urinary difficulty.
- Cystoscopy: The process of looking into the bladder with scope. It is performed to identify the options for treatment. The procedure is performed on the television screen to let the patient can see their problem with urologists.
- Urodynamic: To measure the relationship of pressure and volume in the bladder this test is performed. This test also referred as the EKGs of the bladder.
Prolapsed bladder Treatment
- A mild stage prolapsed bladder does not need medical surgeries. The doctor advise to avoid heavy lifting or straining. Some nonsurgical treatments doctor may suggest are:
- Pessary: a device used to place inside the vagina to hold the bladder.
- Prolapsed Bladder Care at Home: At the stage of mild to moderate the doctor generally recommend to avoid heavy lifting or straining and also advise to perform Kegel exercise to tighten the pelvic Muscles. Kegel exercise might be used for the treatment of mild to moderate prolapse.
- Medication for prolapsed bladder: Estrogen helps in the strengthening of the tissues and muscles around the vagina. It can be taken orally in a medium of pill or topically as patch or cream. The cream covers a little area and have a nominal effect at the place where it applied. The application of estrogens help the anterior vagina to recover and lessens the urinary problems.
- Prolapsed Bladder Surgery:The severe prolapsed bladders which cannot be treated with pessary or estrogen replacement needs surgery to fix them. The surgery usually performed through Vagina with the goal of the fixation of the bladder at secure position. The procedure of repairing the bladder is done by incision in vaginal wall. The prolapsed area will be fixed and the wall will be strengthened.
The procedure of the surgery by giving regional or local anesthesia to the women and after surgery will discharge the patient same day. The doctor advice the women to eliminate the strain causing activities for six months.
- Other Therapy for Prolapsed Bladder:Some physical therapy also used for strengthening the prolapsed bladder such as, Electrical stimulation and Biofeedback.
- Electrical Stimulation: A probe can be applied by the doctor to the targeted muscle on the pelvic floor within the vagina. The probe is attached to the device to deliver electric current for the contraction of the muscles. These contraction will lead to strengthen the muscles. A less disturbing type of electrical stimulation have also available which magnetically stimulates the pundenal nerve from outside of the body. This leads to the activation of the muscles of the pelvic floor and may help in the treatment of incontinence.
- Biofeedback: In this particular section a sensor is used which monitors the muscle activity of the pelvic floor and inside the vagina. The doctor recommend the exercises for the strengthening of the muscle. These exercise helps in strengthen of the muscle which lead to reverse or relieve the symptoms related to prolapsed bladder. The sensor will measure the contractions of the muscles, which help the doctor to determine the targeted muscles.
If you are a woman, facing such problems then you can visit Satyadev Urology, here you can meet one of the best Urologist in Patna (Dr. Kumar Rajesh Ranjan). Our team of highly skilled doctors will examine you about the stage of your prolapsed bladder. They will provide you treatment according to the stage of your problem.